Monday, January 2, 2012

First Day, First Meals





Breakfast
Usually I would start the day by snacking on some left overs in the fridge, but instead I decided to put a little more effort into it. Four bagel thins with Benecol, and some soy milk. Benecol has Plant Sterols added to it, which lowers cholesterol naturally.

On a molecular level, sterols and stanols look a lot like cholesterol. So when they travel through your digestive tract, they get in the way. They can prevent real cholesterol from being absorbed into your bloodstream. Instead of clogging up your arteries, the cholesterol just goes out with the waste. - WebMD


The soy milk I chose has 50% more calcium that dairy milk, and has less calories and less cholesterol than dairy milk. I like how you can track where the soy milk you are drinking comes from by going to http://silksoymilk.com/traceit/ and entering the manufacturing plant code on the carton.


Snacks
Instead of only eating a couple 500 calorie meals during the day, I plan on three meals a day and also eating apples, bananas, and pears. Currently, my daily calorie intake is below 1200, and I always feel tired. If I can get my calories up around 1800, I am hoping my energy level improves.


Lunch
Some Wheat Thins and Hummus. I just realized that the carbs, fat, and sodium in Wheat Thins is extremely high. The main reason I purchased Nabisco Wheat Thins was that they had 100% Whole Grain. Lesson learned. Next time will substitute a cracker with less sodium. This meal was about 1200 Calories, 170g Carbs, 50g Fat, 30g Protein, and 1947g Sodium.

Throughout the day I read news reports, and studied various spiritual ideas, then posted about them on my other two blogs: The Mystical and Fool Me Twice. I ended the day with a cup of jasmine tea and an open faced sandwich. All-in-all I feel positive about the coming week, and if I stay focused will maintain this lifestyle of eating intelligently.

No comments:

Post a Comment