Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Getting Outside


I have noticed many of the people I know spend most of their lives indoors, and rarely get out and enjoy the sunshine. Even though it is winter at the moment, and the sun stays a bit lower on the horizon, Southern California weather seems to find a way to stay relatively warm when compared to other states. In an effort to get out more, and get some exercise, I made a decision to walk to work.




It is only a 1.3 mile walk one way, and takes less than half an hour usually. My dog Misty always seems to side track me though, so it can take up to 45 minutes. But it's not about the destination, it's about the journey, right? Meeting people along the way, and seeing the buildings I drive by with more detail, makes me feel like I am more a part of the community. Today I burned around 300 calories and barely broke a sweat. I also use this time to catch up on the daily events by listening to Democracy Now with Amy Goodman.


I tried my hand at baking tonight, by mixing the ingredients to the right per a granola bar recipe, and then baking the mixture for 25 minutes. The pan I had was bigger than the one they told me to use in the recipe, and I didn't feel like buying a new pan, so the mixture was fairly thin when I spread it all out in the baking pan. It turned out like cookies, and tasted really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment