Thursday, April 26, 2012

Growing

Watching things grow can give you a deep connection to the world you live in, especially if you are responsible for shaping and encourage how they grow.  I have watched my dog Misty grow from a shy and unsociable puppy, to a confident and lovable companion.  Everyday I remember how hard it was when I first adopted her, since she was abused and had a really hard time around new people.  Taking her to work, and allowing her to venture out on her own at times, has allowed her to develop a strong personality, and deep character.  I have also watched friends and family change through out the years, and by knowing them I have changed as well.  The natural law of evolution seems to be contained in every living being on the planet, including plants.

About two years ago I purchased a very small aloe plant at the super market, and was planning on keeping it near the sink in the kitchen incase I burned myself.  Aloe leaves when broken in half contain compounds that reduce pain when applied to skin burns.  However, it wasn't long before I noticed the little plant wasn't that little anymore.  Eventually, I decided to plant it in my backyard.  Now it has grown to almost two feet in diameter, and seems very healthy.  I never really water it, since it is a cactus, and have not treated the soil in any way.  Watching the little aloe plant grow into an adult plant has been interesting to me, so I started reading more about plants, and how to take care of them.

My next plant was a chlorophytum comosum, or spider plant, that my Mom gave me.  She enjoys growing them on her patio since they grow little versions of themselves that you can snip off and replant easily.  She gave me a couple pots with the spider plants already planted in them, and I set it outside by the aloe plant in my backyard.  Before long the little baby plants shot out and landed on the ground beside the pot, and now they are starting to root into the dirt.  Once again, it has intrigued me to occasionally inspect how the plant has grown and adapted to it's new surroundings.


Yesterday I drove to a outdoor plant nursery on an impulse and walked through the hundreds of plants they were selling.  I wound up choosing a Coleus the grower called a Trusty Rusty.  It supposedly grows in both shade and sunny areas, and only requires water a couple times a week.  The Trusty Rusty can grow up to 16" in height, and right now is about half that height.  Planting it in my backyard will most likely be the best environment for it, since it is shady, but gets occasional sunlight through my avocado tree.


4 comments:

  1. Yes, Coleus does best in shade, and you have a gorgeous plant there. I wonder if Coleus can be an indoor plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Danny: I also started a blog (you inspired me). Let's see how long before I will give this up! :)
    http://yuenlaikit.blogspot.com/2012/04/orchid-201204-oncidium-hakalau-pacific.html?spref=fb

    By the way, my coleus is an annual in the East coast, zone 5. I actually am wondering if it could be planted as a house plant. Yours look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was considering keeping the Coleus indoors, and still might decided to do that. Maybe place it by a window. I will post pictures if I do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. R.I.P. Coleus 6/21/12
    Death by Caterpillar

    ReplyDelete